Monday, December 31, 2018

Year in Review

Whew, made it through another year!
2018 was a big year for me personally. I graduated from law school, passed the bar exam and moved to New York City to start a new job. I also did a lot of travelling, which I hope to write about at some point. But for now, here is a look-back at the TV and movies that I watched!

TVB Series

The list of TVB series that I have watched this year is a short one:


  • Threesome - A gem that TVB did not know how to appreciate. Mandy Wong is the true Best Actress in my mind for playing three vastly different characters and switch effortlessly between them.
  • Flying Tiger - A run-of-the-mill police procedural with familiar elements - undercover agents, black cops, a brotherly showdown and a hot-headed Ron Ng.
  • Deep in the Realm of Conscience - A messy, overpopulated series that tried to use extravagance to compensate for its lack of substance.
  • Succession War - The better historical drama of the summer. The story was well-written, coherent and enticing, even if history books were thrown out the window.
  • Life on the Line - A mundane series with too many convenient coincidences and miracles. I watched the majority of this, but never bothered to finish the last week of episodes.
    • The Learning Curve of a Warlord - Without Dicky Cheung, this series would have easily been left in the skip column.


    American TV

    In the absence of good TVB dramas, I have turned to American TV. The first show I watched was Timeless. It is a history lover's dream show. It is well-researched and seamlessly incorporates historical details into the story. And it covered all sorts of historical events and characters. I loved tuning it each week to find out which historical time period the Time Time would travel to next. The second show I watched was Billions, a fast-paced, clever battle of the wits with unpredictable turns. The best thing about it is watching how far the characters are willing to go to win this fight.


      Movies


      I got to see a lot of movies this year because of Moviepass. Sadly, good things don't last forever.
      • Jumanji
      • The Shape of Water
      • The Post
      • I, Tonya
      • All the Money in the World
      • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
      • Black Panther
      • Annihilation
      • Kingsman: Golden Circle
      • Marshall
      • Avengers: Infinity War
      • Guardians of the Galaxy I and II
      • Game Night
      • Chappaquiddick
      • RBG
      • Mission Impossible: Fallout
      • Antman and the Wasp
      • Agent Mr. Chan
      • Searching


      Books

      Now that I don't have to read for school anymore, I am rediscovering the joys of reading for leisure. The first book that I finished in a long time is The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. It was an unexpected emotional experience as I followed the life of an adopted Irish boy who struggles to understand his identity. The book was captivating, eye-opening, at times shocking, and deeply emotional. Highly recommend!


      What reflections do you have on 2018? What do you hope for in 2019?


      No comments:

      Post a Comment